Muscle cars have inspired virtually every part of our society, from Dodge apparel to muscle car-themed music! There have been many songs about muscle cars over the years, and some of these songs have become favorites because of the memories they bring back. Here are a few of the best-loved songs about muscle cars:
- "409" by the Beach Boys - The Beach Boys had several songs about muscle cars, but the song "409" was one of their most enduring ones. The song refers to the Chevrolet 409 engine, and constantly refers to the speed and beauty of a car with a 409 in it (the model is never mentioned.) The majority of the lyrics were written by Gary Usher, who (as the song indicates) dreamed of owning a Chevy 409, and the song was released in 1962.
- "Little Deuce Coupe" by the Beach Boys - Although this song is technically about a 1932 Ford Coupe, it is one of their classic car songs from the muscle car era. The 1932 Ford Coupe was actually a popular hot rod in 1963 when the song was released.
- "Shut Down" by the Beach Boys - Yet another popular car-themed song by the Beach Boys in the 1960s, the muscle car era, "Shut Down" tells the story of a drag race between a 1962 Dodge Dart and a 1963 Chevy Stingray. The song was also released in 1963, on their album Little Deuce Coupe, and was nearly as popular as the album's title track.
- "GTO" by Ronny and the Daytonas - Sometimes songs about muscle cars actually helped to sell the cars from the dealerships, and this is one of those songs. "GTO" describes the thrill of speed that muscle cars promised, and like many muscle car songs, mentions drag racing. It was the debut song of Ronny and the Daytonas, and although they didn't go on to make many more songs, "GTO" was one of the top hits for 1964.
- "Hey Little Cobra" by The Rip Chords - Like many muscle car songs, "Hey Little Cobra" describes a drag race. The car is a “droolworthy” Shelby Cobra, a British roadster that ex-race car driver Carroll Shelby had modified in order to replace the original straight 6-cylinder engine with a Ford V8. The song, which sounds much like the Beach Boys muscle car-themed pop hits of the same era, was #4 on the charts in 1964.
- "Mustang Sally" by Sir Mack Rice - Originally written by Sir Mack Rice in 1965, this famous song is probably better known as the 1966 cover by Wilson Pickett. The song was supposedly written for fellow singer Della Reese, who at the time wanted a Ford Mustang. Although the song started out as a joke, it ended up being a very popular song, and one of many over the years that would sing of both women and hot cars!
- "Little Red Corvette" by Prince - A more modern twist on the classic muscle car song, "Little Red Corvette" again compares a woman to a hot muscle car. The song was a hit when it was first released in 1982.
These are just a few of the famous songs that have immortalized the muscle car experience over the years. What are your favorite muscle car songs?